Sunday, October 10, 2010

What Makes Me "Different" from other photographers?

While I was at Girls Night Out on Thursday, I was handing out goodie bags and business cards. I was talking with folks about my business and encouraging them to enter the raffle for a free photoshoot. I had one person ask me a question that I wish more people would ask.

"What makes you different from other photographers?" she asked. I was surprised but happy to have such a question. I had to think quick on my feet to give her an answer that summed up my business in a few sentences. My mind went blank for a minute. I spouted out something, I dont even remember what.

Today, I thought back to that question and really asked myself "what DOES make me different?" There are THOUSANDS of photographers in this world. Why would someone choose me to be their photographer over one of the 'more experienced', or the 'cheaper'? I used to be a 'cheap' photographer until I gained more experience and decided that if I was going to make a career out of this, I better be a smart business woman and charge what I'm worth. (which by the way is NOT an easy task).

So I've thought more about this question and have come up with the following answer:

1) I am a storyteller. When I take photos, I am thinking about how I will tell the story later. Especially, at a wedding. There is a beautiful story behind every wedding and I deem it my job to make sure that the bride and groom never forget the story behind their special day. I do this by placing their photos in order. I do this by including the small details, like the invitations, the lyrics to songs, the speeches, etc.. Sometimes we forget how important those words are and how easy we can forget them.

2) I get bored easily. This can be of benefit to my clients. I LOVE LOVE LOVE to try new things. If I got stuck doing the same thing over and over again, I would lose the love and the passion I have for this career. When I taught classes at my previous job, I never did it the same way twice. It was basically the same material, but I had to present it differently every time. I do the same with my photography. I think of it as ART. You wouldnt paint a picture of the exact same thing every day would you? No. You will take your experience from the previous painting and expand on it, maybe branch out and do something a little different the next time. That's how I approach photography. I take a piece of every shoot and do something a little different or completely different based on my previous experience. No offense to other photographers, but seeing babies posed the same way is so boring to me. I feel like you arent giving your clients the best of you by mimicking the exact same photo as your previous clients.

3) My personality. My creativity. When you select a photographer for your family, wedding, children, parties, events, etc... you should choose a photographer with whom you get along well with. Someone who shares your vision. You should listen to their ideas and if you dont like their ideas, then maybe that is not the right photographer for you. When you choose me as your photographer, you will also be making a new friend :)

4) Budget friendly? Basing your decision on price alone can be a big mistake. We often times try to seek out the "cheapest" of services, rather it be a florist, a party planner, invitations, etc... and we often times regret our decisions later. Cheap doesnt always mean better. You get what you pay for. When I meet with a client, I always talk about your needs first and then your budget. It is important to me that you understand upfront what will be included for what you are paying for. When I do wedding packages, I give you a grand total that will include every detail, including my time and the products that you want, ie: a photobook, scrapbook, shadowbox, canvas prints, gift prints, thank you cards, etc... I try really hard to work within your budget and if I cant, I will let you know that up front.

5) Experience. Let's be honest, I am not as experienced as many photographers out there. We all have to start somewhere...which is at the bottom doing work for free. Doing all of that work for free though, has helped me gain the experience that has made me an even better photographer. I have no regrets. I learn something new everyday and with every shoot I do, and I am proud of that, not ashamed. The day photographers stop learning, is the day we should put down the camera forever.

I think that about sums up why I am a different as a photographer.

Have a great day everyone! Happy 10-10-10! Off to shoot a wedding :)

No comments:

Post a Comment